Friday, October 12, 2012

Getting Political Up in Here


Sometime in the beginning of my blog, I promised that I wouldn't get political. Well, it's 2012. We are about to have an election for president, and I'm about to get political. Hate it or love, it is about to happen.

Here is what I think. We just had the debates between Mitt Romney and President Obama. That night, I got to thinking and this is what I think should happen. I believe that both Mitt Romney and Barrack Obama are genuinely good men. They are both doing what the feel in their hearts is right. So why can't they, as two intelligent grown men, sit down and have an adult conversation about what they believe and what they wish for this country. Why can't they just make a decision to be truthful. Is it really that difficult? If you believe in universal healthcare, say it. Tell America that if you had your way and Congress would just go along with it, you would give healthcare to every single person currently in the United States citizen or not. If you believe that the wealthy do not deserve to have as high a tax rate as the middle class, say it. Tell America that if you were president you would lower tax rates on the wealthy. Don't sneak around, say things, and take it back. Just say what you believe! Is it really that hard? Am I completely naive here?

I'm a big believer in the thought behind "I may not disagree with a word you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Both President Obama and Mitt Romney have every right to believe and say what they wish. You and I do not have to agree with it. We don't even have to respect it. It isn't my right to tell you what to believe and it isn't your right to tell me what to believe. So why can't we all just ACTUALLY respect each other's opinions. Not just say that we do, but actually do.

"Not my President." Nothing urks me more than when people says "I didn't vote for him, he's not my President." Well then leave. Go to another country. Why don't you go to Russia and see how they feel when you say "Not my Prime Minister." I may not have liked George W. Bush's policies, but he was the president when I joined the military. He was my Commander-in-Chief, and if it had called for it, I would have taken a bullet for him. When people say "not my president" they sound like five year olds whining because the teacher is just so mean to them. When did the President become a scapegoat for every wrong thing that happens in America? Last time I checked this isn't a monarchy. The President can't arbitrarily make a ruling and that is final. We have a system of checks and balances for a reason. If you want change, you need to want change everywhere. Congress is going to need to change, the White House is going to need to change, state government is going to need to change. One person winning or losing the presidency isn't going to change the way things are done in Washington.

I think it is pretty obvious that I am generally a Liberal. I am not Liberal on every issue, but on the "big" ones, I definitely am. Marriage equality - for it. Leave my vagina alone - for it. People with more money pay more taxes - for it. But I have friends who are extremely conservative, and I don't care. Being a conservative or a liberal doesn't make make that person good or bad, right or wrong. It's an opinion. I have an opinion that ketchup is delicious, if you disagree are you going to stop being friends with me? I don't recommend it because I'm pretty awesome.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I will try my darnedest to reply to any and all comments. Please make sure they are family friendly. I welcome discussion, but please no rudeness.