Saturday, July 23, 2011

What I'm Reading...

Ok, first and foremost, this blog was supposed to be about books. This is something that I seem to be forgetting. Unfortunately, with the baby, I just don't have as much time to read as I used to. I generally only get to read after the baby goes to sleep. But anyhow, let me update with a little of what I've been reading.



The last book I read was Bossypants by Tina Fey. This book was really funny, I found myself laughing out loud many times. It was a really quick read, especially considering I don't get much time to sit down and read. It is a humorous view of her life before SNL, during her time on the show, and then what she's been doing since there. She includes a prayer for her daughter which I'll share a bit of here, "May she play the Drums to the fiery rhythm of her Own Heart with the sinewy strength of her Own Arms, so she need Not Lie With Drummers. Grant her a Rough Patch from twelve to seventeen.Let her draw horses and be interested in Barbies for much too long, For childhood is short – a Tiger Flower blooming Magenta for one day – And adulthood is long and dry-humping in cars will wait." That is something all parents can relate to I'm sure. I want my son to be a child for as long as possible. I hope to never hear myself tell him to "Grow up" or "Be a big boy". I'm already so sad at how fast he's grown. Overall, I gave this book 4 stars out of 5. It's not a deep read, but it is funny.

I'm currently reading A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin. This is the second of the "Song of Fire and Ice" books, more popularly known as the Game of Thrones' books. I love the way these books are formatted. Each chapter is from a different character's point of view. There are hundreds of characters in the book and it is nearly impossible to keep track of all of them. Only about 10 of them are represented with their own chapters so it's not too mind-boggling. Luckily, I'm reading this on my nookcolor, so when a character is mentioned and I can't remember them, I can simply highlight their name and look them up on Wikipedia. Gotta love that Wikipedia. The books are long, this one is 1009 pages, but they read pretty quickly. You genuinely want to know what is going to happen so you go through it quickly. I've found myself awake still at 2am reading because I don't want to put it down. I gave the first book 5 stars, and I'm pretty sure this book will be getting 5 as well.

Next, I'm probably going to be reading the third Song of Fire and Ice book, which is called A Storm of Swords. These books are so crazy popular that the fifth book which just came out was referred to as "The Precious" by many avid Martin fans. "The Precious" referring to Gollum's obsession with the one ring in Lord of the Rings. It took him many years to finally release the fifth book. I'm hoping that before I even get to the fifth he'll have finished the sixth.

As for CJ, for his birthday he got a couple of books. His favorite new one is Clifford's Birthday Party. It came with a big red Clifford doll that he barks at whenever he sees it. The other day he even did the sign for dog while saying "oggie". It was adorable. Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Hello ! This is CinnamonMiaw from Blogger Swap on Swap-bot.

    I'm a person who loves to read but, as you, I don't have as many time as I would like to spend on reading.
    We have pretty different tastes in books though (: I am a fan of Asian Literature, specially Japanese.

    Very nice to meet you (:
    I'll be following your blog ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you recommend a good book so maybe I could get into Asian Literature too?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I will try my darnedest to reply to any and all comments. Please make sure they are family friendly. I welcome discussion, but please no rudeness.