Thursday, May 10, 2012

City Mouse Lost in the Country

So I'm thinking I might have to change the name of my blog to City Mouse Moves to the Country. I kid of course, but I am so out of my element here. We just moved to Derry NH which isn't even all that country, but for a girl raised in the ghetto, I feel like I'm living on a dude ranch. There was a beaver/otter/gopher creature of some kind in our backyard all this afternoon. Just chilling out there eating the weeds. It was ginormous. I have no idea what it was. It's face kind of looked like a cross between a bear and a raccoon? Any ideas?

Also, the bugs? I have never seen so many bugs. The first time I left the light on the porch on, I could see all the bugs swarming around it. I felt like that scene in the Mist where the giant bugs are about to crash through the grass. Ugh. Bugs are gross. Then there's the darkness. I've never lived somewhere that gets completely dark at night. Like pitch black. It is going to take some getting used to. At night, our yard is darker than the sky. It's pretty eerie.

Finally, there's the fact that we might have some poison ivy in the backyard. I was picking all the weeds, and there were a lot of them. I started to pick a weed when I realized that it had three leaves. Since I've never in my life seen poison ivy, I had to ask Craig. We aren't positive, but we are erring on the side of caution and assuming that it is. Also, apparently I am not allergic since I picked it up before I realized what it was. I don't want CJ touching it. With his allergies, it's pretty much guaranteed that he'd have a reaction. Take a look at the pictures country folk. Is it poison?

So that's what I've been up to for the last few weeks. Moving ourselves into the house. We have a lot of stuff, and CJ likes to be in the center of anything. It is impossible to accomplish anything with a two year old around, so the unpacking is probably going to take until we move again. I will have some reviews and giveaways coming up, so stay tuned. Also give me some advice on living in the country, if you have any. 

Pin It


  1. Hi there!

    I hope you guys are settling in!

    I've been peering at the photos and I'm sorry but I cant make out the creature or if it is indeed poison ivy, it looks suspicious ( this may help?) I would definately air on the side of caution as you are doing.

    Bugs? Eeeeeep.
    I know. I am a total wuss!

    PS. Nice to have you back bloggin'!

  2. Hey Lindsey! So I grew up in the country and we live in the country now so I totally understand all of your concerns! I think the best benefit of living in the country is seeing the beautiful night sky on a clear night, without any light population. You are guaranteed a new appreciate of the stars!

    Anyway -- your creature is most likely a groundhog. They are harmless and we have plenty of them too. AND that's definitely poison ivy. Anytime you see the three leaves, it's best to just leave it alone. You should also know that reactions don't always happen right away, so the moment anyone has any contact, they should take a COLD shower right away and put their clothes in a bag (they should be washed separately from everyone else's clothes - especially CJ). If you take a hot shower, your pores will open up and soak in the poisonous oils even more -- no bueno!

    That's as far as my expertise goes! Best of luck in the new home!


Thanks for leaving a comment! I will try my darnedest to reply to any and all comments. Please make sure they are family friendly. I welcome discussion, but please no rudeness.