Saturday, May 12, 2012

Getting My Learn On

So I've decided to go back to school. Since I'm a disabled veteran, I'm eligible for 36 months of tuition assistance through the VA. I have my preliminary teaching license in Massachusetts, but it is pretty much useless. It basically just gives me some time to get my initial license, which I can use to actually teach. So I'm going to use my 36 months of tuition assistance to get my Master's in Elementary Education. It will probably only take 24 months at the most. I can then transfer the rest to Craig or to CJ, which is pretty sweet.

My whole life I've been told that I'd be a great teacher. My best friend tells me this all the time, but I've always brushed it off. It wasn't until I was in the Army that I realized that I was probably meant to be a teacher. The only time I didn't hate life was when I was in charge of teaching a class on something. So I hope this will be a good choice.

My preliminary licenses are in English 5-8 and 8-12. I figure with a Master's in Elementary Education, I'll be able to teach just about anything. :) I think that I would prefer middle graders. I loved being that age, and for the most part, I love kids that age. They're still young enough to believe that they can be anything, but old enough to learn more advanced things. I'd also be ok with elementary because it would tons of fun to start kids on their path to learning. Then again, I'd love high schoolers because then I could teach them some great literature. I can't wait to get started really.

Anywho, I'm telling you this so you'll all wish me good luck on my GREs today. They start at 1230 Eastern time. So think of me then. :-D I did not study one bit and I'm not at all concerned. It isn't that I'm super confident that I'm going to do amazingly. I just do not have the ability to freak out over tests. I just can't do it. Anytime my brain knows that a test is coming, I go into this weird mellow zen mode. I couldn't be concerned about the test if I tried. And I've tried in the past. SATs, I sat there for months trying to psyche myself up and convince myself to study more. I could not do it. (I got a 1350 in case you were wondering.) So if I fail miserably, I'll probably be kicking myself in the butt.
In somewhat related news, has anyone ever used the Before Five in a Row program? I'd love to take a look at it for CJ. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I will try my darnedest to reply to any and all comments. Please make sure they are family friendly. I welcome discussion, but please no rudeness.