Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother Review & Teaser

 Last week, we had to drive to Maine for my Gramma's funeral. On the way there, I read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother . This book has been all over the news because of her controversial take on parenting. I actually really enjoyed the book. There were parts that made me cringe, but never did I think that she didn't genuinely love her children and want the best for them. Her idea of best might have been a little bit different than theirs, but she did have their best interests at heart. I also learned about the Suzuki method of learning piano, which is something I can't wait to sign CJ up for. Both my husband and I wish we were given piano lessons as children, so we are going to sign CJ up for lessons eventually.


Here's a few tidbits from the book.


Page 62, "There are all these new books out there portraying Asian mothers as scheming, callous, overdriven people indifferent to their kids' true interests. For their part, many Chinese secretly believe that they care more about their children and are willing to sacrifice much more for them than Westerners, who seem perfectly content to let their children turn out badly. I think it's a misunderstanding on both sides. All decent parents want to do what's best for the children. The Chinese just have a totally different idea of how to do that."


Here's a link to an extremely harsh review by the New York Times of the book. I didn't find the mother nearly as reprehensible as this reviewer did. Harsh huh? I love this though. Her oldest daughter, Sophia, actually wrote a letter about how great of a mom she actually was. I think that Amy can be proud of who her daughters have turned out to be. I hope my kids like me half as much as her daughters seem to love her.   Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I will try my darnedest to reply to any and all comments. Please make sure they are family friendly. I welcome discussion, but please no rudeness.