Thursday, July 26, 2012

Who is that guy? Black Death Edition


Are you ever watching a movie and you recognize an actor's face? I do it all the time, because I am a big movie nerd and I never EVER forget a face. Then I wake up at 3am from a dead sleep because I remember where I remember that face from. Well now you don't have to worry about that happening to you. I'm going to help you out. Instead of scouring through IMDB trying to figure out where you've seen their face, you can come here. So the next time you are watching a movie and you think "Who is that guy?" let me know, and I'll answer.

For the inaugural edition of 'Who is that guy?' I am going to do the movie Black Death with Sean Bean. I'm doing this movie because while watching it, I saw about a million faces that I recognized from one place or another. Also, it was really hard to tell what the characters names were, so if you looked this one up, you might have a hard time figuring out who is who. 

Cast image courtesy of horror-asylum.com
Let's start with the main character Osmund. He is played by Eddie Redmayne. He may look like a baby-faced newcomer, but he is actually 30 years old and has been in many things. 
  • In the 2005 mini-series Elizabeth, he played the Earl of Southampton. 
  • In Elizabeth: The Golden Age, starring Cate Blanchett, he played Thomas Babington.
  • In The Other Boleyn Girl, he played William Stafford. 
  • In the 2008 mini-series Tess of the D'urbervilles, he played Angel Clare.
  • In the 2010 mini-series The Pillars of the Earth, he played Jack.
  • In My Week with Marilyn, he played Colin Clark.
  • Coming up, he is going to play Marius in the new Les Miserables. 
Swire.
Do I have to tell you who Ulrich is and why he looks familiar? If so, we can't be friends. Sean Bean is not only Boromir in Lord of the Rings, he is also Ned Stark on Game of Thrones. He's always in the news for fighting people, usually in self-defense. He's also the love of my life... little known fact for you. (I kid of course, but he is lovely.)

One of Ulrich's men is Swire, played by Emun Elliott. He's only been acting since 2005, and was actually also part of Game of Thrones. He played Marillion, the musician in season 1. He is absolutely gorgeous, so I bet he will be in quite a few period pieces to come. 

Now & Then
The next character, I almost cried when I saw him. For serious. The character Wolfstan was played by John Lynch. Who is John Lynch and why does his face bring tears to my eyes? Because he was the face of my childhood. He played Lord Craven in The Secret Garden. That is one of my absolute favorite movies. I wanted desperately to grow up and have him be my father. I have never seen him in anything else, so I was really happy to see him here. 

Did you recognize the Abbot (head priest)? I won't go through everything he has been in, but if you did, it is probably from Titanic. He played the jerk who locked Leonardo DiCaprio to the pipe. 

Finally, there was the blonde witch, Langiva. I don't want to say that the actress, Carice van Houten, has been typecast but.... if you recognized her, it is most likely from Game of Thrones. Where she plays a witch. Only difference that I can tell is that on Game of Thrones she has red hair. She is the Lady Melisiandre, the red priestess, the paramour of Stannis Baratheon. 

So what other movies do you need me to check on for you? Any movie where you saw a face that looked familiar but you can't place it? Just let me know. 
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. It's so intriguing to see how people will change for a role.... dying hair, cutting off hair, gaining 50lbs, becoming skin and bones to look unhealthy.... I guess I would too if the money was great! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is crazy when people gain or lose a ton of weight for a role. You'd have to pay me a ton of money. That isn't good for their health, so it would definitely have to be worth it.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting, I agree with the comment above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some actors can really disappear into their role, while others always look like the same person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many times I have seen an actor or actress and knew I had seen them somewhere.... I wrack my brain and sometimes, the light comes on. If not, I can't stop thinking about it until I figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well this is the first I've heard of "Black Death" and I'm really intrigued by it. I love dramatic historical movies like "Renaissance" and "The Madness of King George". So now I'll wait to see if it comes to cable :)

    As for Sean Bean, I always refer to him as that guy from "Goldeneye" even though he's been in like every movie under the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have Netflix? That is where I watched it. You are like my sister. She will forever refer to Alan Rickman as "the bad guy from Die Hard" even though he's ALAN FREAKING RICKMAN!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I will try my darnedest to reply to any and all comments. Please make sure they are family friendly. I welcome discussion, but please no rudeness.