Thursday, April 19, 2012

Guest Post - 5 Must-Reads for Spring

Are you having a tough time deciding what to read this Spring? Well, I have a guest post today that should be able to give you some ideas. It certainly has made my to-read list 5 books longer. 


5 Must-Reads for Spring

As a word nerd and book lover, I can’t keep myself away from a good novel (or five ).  And with topics that jump around as much as my busy schedule, I am thrilled about the bevy of books hitting my bookshelves this season. From new releases to book that have been around the block, here are a few I’m pining over right now. Happy spring reading!
 
The Marriage Plot: A Novel: Jeffrey Eugenides

Eugenides follows three liberal arts students through their years after university during the early ‘80s, which is the same time period he graduated and entered the work force.  Love maintains only a secondary place in the plot, which is both surprising and refreshing in books written for young adults.  While the story contains the drama you’d expect from a young adult novel, the more complex nature of this life stage is also revealed.   


 

The Art of Fielding: A Novel : Chad Harbach

This book may appear to be just another story about a pro athlete, but the buzz around it is the largest of any other book on this list. The story of Steve Blass, a former Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher from the Midwest, is told in a way that draws in not only sports fans, but anyone who has struggled to achieve a dream. The author himself has his own underdog story—searching for a publisher and releasing his book in the U.K.  Only after success in the U.K. did he gain the attention of American publishers—ironic considering the book is about America’s pastime. 






The Map and the Territory : Michel Houellebecq

Another novel from across the pond entices me, as Michel Houllebecq’s book is finally released in English after winning a Prix Goncourt in France.  This one focuses on another infamous life stage, following a middle-aged man through his relationships with those around him and with himself.  The Huffington Post described Houllebecq’s wit as “funny, strange, poignant and a joy to read.”








 

The Orphan Master's Son: A Novel : Adam Johnson

Johnson has been praised for the in-depth research that went into this tale about a man growing up in North Korea.  While the setting is much more turbulent than most of us have encountered, the main character’s reactions to his experiences are relatable to those who enjoy more traditional coming-of-age stories. 


 




A Bad Idea I'm About to Do: True Tales of Seriously Poor Judgment and Stunningly Awkward Adventure : Chris Gethard

This book is what I only wish I could write about my life (for all those time we all make mistakes ).  With a subtitle like “True Tales of Seriously Poor Judgment and Stunningly Awkward Adventure,” I just can’t stay away.  In this book, Chris Gethard shares some of his most awkward and, in turn, most hilarious experiences with all of us. I can’t wait to keep reading this—there’s something about a refreshingly witty book that makes me want to sit on my porch in the spring and keep the pages turning.

What’s your must-read for spring?

Author Bio: Molly Borter is a blogger for the Reading Glasses Shopper blog, where she writes book reviews, tries new DIY projects, and styles adorable reading glasses to perfection. When she’s not staying up way too late reading, she enjoys spending time with her family, trying new recipes, and playing with her triplet nieces.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. nice list! i'll have to add a couple of these to my TBR pile!

    TRISH

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I will try my darnedest to reply to any and all comments. Please make sure they are family friendly. I welcome discussion, but please no rudeness.