Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My Infertile Diagnosis, and Why I'm Happy About It

On Monday I went to an OB/GYN here in Derry who specializes in fertility. First of all, she was amazing. I loved her. She was sweet and obviously very smart and very caring. As far as my diangosis, she told me that since we have technically been trying for over a year, we are clinically "infertile". She then said that not to let the word "infertile" scare me because she didn't think that it was going to be too hard to fix me. (Knock on wood.)

She suspects that I may have some Poly-cystic ovarian syndrome. This is quite possible since both my mother and aunt have had hysterectomies as a result of PCOS. She is going to do bloodwork and all the necessary tests to make sure, and then she will get me onto something that will help. She thinks that this is part of the reason I lost all my baby weight right after I had CJ and then gained 20 lbs.

Even more than the infertility, the doctor was more concerned with my health for the rest of my life. She said of course the short-term goal is to get pregnant, but the long-term goal is to live a healthy life. It was nice to hear that she didn't just think of me as a vessel to make babies. Because (possible overshare alert) I haven't gotten my period since February and hadn't gotten it since October before that, she was a little worried. She told me that having that much lining just isn't healthy. So first things first, I'll be going on Provera to induce my period. Anyone ever dealt with that before? I'm expecting that it is going to be the worst period ever. Like she said, I probably have a lot of "schmutz" up there.

It may be that the Provera is all my body needs to start up my cycles again. Since I was as regular as clockwork before and got pregnant so easily the first time, that is a possibility. If however, I don't, she will most likely start me on Clomid to make sure that I ovulate. Clomid slightly ups the risk of having multiples, but I am perfectly ok with that. We actually used to rub my belly and say "Twins twins, big strong twins" with CJ. :)

So why am I happy that I've been officially diagnoses as "infertile"?

Because it is an answer. I don't have to just feel like I'm broken and have no idea how to fix it. I now have a definite diagnosis and definite plans to fix it. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders just knowing that we are working on it. It is possible that this is the start of a long hard road, but it is a step in the right direction. The OB/GYN doesn't seem to think that it is going to be that hard. She said what I thought, that my body just needs a kick in the pants to remind it what it was built for.

Did you ever have any fertility problems? Were you ever on Clomid or Provera? I would really like to hear your stories- good or bad. I'd like to know what I am in for. Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I don't have any experience with either drug, as my issues were not getting pregnant, but staying pregnant. It is a long road, but I have faith that someday CJ will be a great big brother and you will be able to share your families love with another squishy baby!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was like Amy Blais... I know that name! I love squishy babies! THEY'RE JUST SO SQUISHY!!

      Delete
  2. I have a friend going through this and it is so difficult on her but also the others around her. Especially, her friends with kids. It is such a sensitive subject, thanks for sharing your side of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how it could be a sensitive issue for some. I think I'm too busy with CJ to be all the sensitive about it. Plus I want babies for everyone! BABIES ALL AROUND!

      Delete
  3. If you're happy, I'm happy :) Sometimes it is just nice to know what you're dealing with. I wish we could both have twinsies!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A book that I really liked when I was trying to have my second kid is Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It has bits about figuring out where you are in your cycle (or where your cycle has stalled if you haven't had a period in a while).

    You can use the info either to try to get pregnant or to try to avoid it, but I liked just having various clues about what is going on. And it has very ideas depending on how much you like to study things -- you can take temperatures and chart and stuff, but if you aren't into that there' s ways of just seeing various cycle markers so you know if you are ovulating or whatever. Anyway, I found it a relaxing way of listening to my body, of course YMMV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Luck! Here's to hoping you have twins =) My twins are 19 months old, and although they come with a unique set of challenges (beginning with pregnancy) they also come with double the hugs, love, and all the things that make being a parent the most wonderful thing ever.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I will try my darnedest to reply to any and all comments. Please make sure they are family friendly. I welcome discussion, but please no rudeness.