Sunday, August 14, 2011

A book that makes you happy - The Three Musketeers

Day 05 - A book that makes you happy.

I'm going to go with The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas.

I used to be slightly obsessed with Alexandre Dumas, pere. In 7th grade French class, I dressed as him (complete with a mustache) and gave a lecture on the importance of reading great literature. I've probably read this book twenty times since I was young. I started off with the children's illustrated classics version, eventually got to the actual book, and I've even read it twice in French. It has everything an adventure should have: a villainous cardinal, a beautiful maiden, a conspiring vixen. Then there's the amazing swashbuckling heroes D'artagnan, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis. I've always been a little bit in love with the character Athos. His story is the most interesting of the series. Not everyone knows this, but there are actually sequels to The Three Musketeers. There is Twenty Years AfterThe Vicomte de BragelloneLouise de la Valliere, and finally The Man in the Iron Mask. There is also Ten Years after, which comes between Twenty Years After and The Vicomte de Bragellone, but it isn't really a stand-alone book. It is actually kind of confusing and seems like it is just filler. I recommend these books for kids of all ages. Children should definitely read them for their exciting adventures. Adults will love them again when they re-read them and find all the subtle little dirty jokes thrown in. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I will try my darnedest to reply to any and all comments. Please make sure they are family friendly. I welcome discussion, but please no rudeness.