Saturday, August 27, 2011

What I'm Reading...

I'm about halfway through A Storm of Swords, which is the fourth book in the Song of Fire and Ice (aka Game of Thrones) series. I like it, although not as much as the first two. There's so many characters to keep track of that I find myself having to google character's names to make sure I'm remembering their storyline correctly. I also feel like George is trying to make me dislike one of my favorite characters, and I refuse. I've been realizing it is more and more treacherous to become attached to a character. He will kill any of them. Hopefully I'll like the last half a bit more than the first.

I just finished reading The Luxe by Anna Godbersen. It is set in 1890's NYC when the elite were still written up in the gossip columns of legitimate newspapers. It stars the Holland sisters, the elder Elizabeth who is prim, proper and perfect and the younger Diana who is rambunctious, troublemaking, and feisty. The story begins with Elizabeth's funeral, then back to when she was alive, all the way to her death. The book portrays the disparages between the elite and the lower classes. You can see how at that time, the differences began to dissolve. I did enjoy this book but I thought it could have been much better written. There are three more books in the series. I'll probably read them eventually but they aren't at the top of my to-read list.

I'm not going to lie, I read this book based on the cover. I am totally guilty of judging books by their cover. It usually works out in my favor. But seriously, take a look at that dress. Gorgeous. Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I'm listening to Storm of Swords right now. About 2/3 done. I lamented earlier about needing just a small sliver of happiness in this series and my friends told me to keep dreaming! Who's your favorite character? I'm very partial to Jon Snow, and Bran, and Tirion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyrion is by far my favorite. He seems to be the only one with a soul. Jon Snow and Samwell Tarley are my other favorites. Bran is great too but I'm a little confused about the warg thing going on with him. I loved Khal Drogo but that was short-lived.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I will try my darnedest to reply to any and all comments. Please make sure they are family friendly. I welcome discussion, but please no rudeness.