Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A book that makes you sad - The Outsiders

Easy. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. This is the most beautiful, saddest book I've ever read. There's a certain part (you know it if you've read it) that makes me cry every. single. time. I'm not talking little tears. I'm talking body-wracking sobs of despair. I've always been amazed that this book was written by a teenager. I'm 27 and I have a hard time writing this blog, let alone an actual legitimate book.

The book centers around Ponyboy, his brothers Sodapop and Darry, and their gang of friends. They are members of a gang known as "greasers" and their enemies are the preppy uptown kids, known as the "Socs" for "socialites". The two groups only interact to fight each other in what they call "skinfights". This all changes one night when Ponyboy and his friends meet Cherry, the girlfriend of one of the Socs. No, this isn't a romance. They don't fall in love and everyone lives happily ever after. But through their interaction, Ponyboy has to grow up just a little bit. The consequences of befriending Cherry greatly affect his life and the lives of everyone around them.

"Stay gold Ponyboy. Stay gold." Aaaand commence tears.

Ps. My baby sister read this in high school. She remembered that I had read it over and over again and cried every time. She read the entire book waiting to burst into tears. When she never did, she called me asking what the heck had made me cry so bad. Therefore, my sister has no soul.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I will try my darnedest to reply to any and all comments. Please make sure they are family friendly. I welcome discussion, but please no rudeness.