Sunday, September 23, 2012

Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil Review

The first couple of times I made home-made baby wipes, by the time I got down to the end, gross mold had formed on the wipes. I couldn't wipe CJ's tush with that, now could I? I had no idea what to use that would be completely natural. Then I found this recipe for baby wipes, and it called for coconut oil. Apparently the mom who came up with that recipe felt that the coconut oil worked as an organic disinfectant. Interesting, now where the heck do I find coconut oil? As luck would have it, Tropical Traditions came calling looking for a review. Perfect timing I say.


So for the last few weeks, I have been putting about a tablespoon of coconut oil into CJ's homemade baby wipes. It works like a charm. I keep the wipes in an old Teddy peanut butter container. (It's not weird, it has been cleaned and disinfected.) When the jar of Tropical Traditions coconut oil arrived, it was in liquid form because it was left out in the sun. In the house, it has stayed a solid. The melting point of coconut oil is about 70 degrees Fahrenheit, so in some households it may stay a liquid. To melt it so I can put it in my wipes, I just take a big spoonful, put it in a glass bowl and microwave it for a few seconds. It doesn't take long.

Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil - 32 oz.I've found that not only does the coconut oil keep my wipes from getting moldy, it also makes them smell really good. When you are working with something that wipes up poop, a nice scent always helps.

Since I got the coconut oil, I've found a million other uses for it. Now that we are on the Paleo diet, I've found that coconut oil is used in a lot of recipes. All of the baked goods I have found that are Paleo-safe call for coconut oil. I've heard that a lot of people use it as a moisturizer, because it cleans your skin natural while also providing moisture. You can use it as a conditioner for dry hair, use it on chapped skin and lips, I've even heard that it is good for rashes. Makes sense since CJ hasn't gotten any redness on his bum since I started using it in his wipes.

You can find the coconut oil on the Tropical Traditions website. They are always having an awesome sale going on. Also, one jar will last you forever, so it is well worth the price. They have a ton of other coconut oil based products as well.

From their website: Tropical Traditions is America’s source for coconut oil. Their Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil is hand crafted in small batches by family producers, and it is the highest quality coconut oil they offer. You can read more about how virgin coconut oil is different from other coconut oils on their website: What is Virgin Coconut Oil?


Tropical Traditions also carries other varieties of affordable high quality coconut oil. Visit their website to check on current sales, to learn about the many uses of coconut oil, and to read about all the advantages of buying coconut oil online. Since the FDA does not want us to discuss the health benefits of coconut oil on a page where it is being sold or given away, here is the best website to read about the health benefits of coconut oil.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Love coconut oil! I would use it for cooking, baking and for seasoning my cast iron skillets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use coconut oil for many things to include skin and hair. This is awesome because I have been looking for a natural baby wipe recipe and I don't even have babies anymore! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of using coconut oil or the Paleo diet. Now I have two new things to learn about :) Thank you for a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use this in my hair and I love it! Condition in the shower, leaves it silky smooth.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I will try my darnedest to reply to any and all comments. Please make sure they are family friendly. I welcome discussion, but please no rudeness.