Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Day 10 - Favorite Classic Book

I'd almost forgotten about my 30 Day Book Challenge. Here is number 10 - Favorite Classic book

This is a toughie since classics are my favorite genre next to historical fiction. I already used Gone with the Wind and The Three Musketeers. So for this I'm going to go with Charles Dickens' Great Expectations. I've always felt like I could relate to Pip. He comes from nothing, has a rough childhood. No one really believes in him, so he has no choice but to believe in himself.

Miss Havisham is an awesome character. She is an old lady who was left at the altar by her fiance. She never changed out of her wedding dress or even took down the decorations. Her wedding cake is still sitting in the middle of the table she eats off of. I always get an awesome visual when I imagine her. She has an adopted daughter named Estella who Pip is madly in love with. Since she was raised by Miss Havisham, she has been taught not to love and to just use and abuse men. Pip knows this but can't resist her.

The book, like most of Dickens' works, has all manner of unsavory characters. There's an escaped convict that sets Pip's life on the path it eventually goes on. It's a really good book, and I highly recommend. Hence it being my favorite classic. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! I will try my darnedest to reply to any and all comments. Please make sure they are family friendly. I welcome discussion, but please no rudeness.