Saturday, October 29, 2011

TBR Intervention (3)


This is week 3 of TBR Intervention, hosted by Books 4 Juliet. This meme is to try to get you to read books that have been on your TBR list forever. TBR stands for To-Be-Read. My TBR list on goodreads' has over 1000 books on it. I need to get cracking!

Last Week's Challenge

Last week I chose Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I love him and I haven't read enough of his books, so I'm trying to remedy that situation. This is the one that was on my TBR the longest. Plus it's one of only two that I have in my house. I did manage to finish the book, and I loved it. The main character is Richard Mayhew, an average, boring sort of man who lives in London. One day he and his fiance literally trip over a young woman bleeding in the streets. He takes her in to help her and gets sucked into the magical world of London Underground. Literally. I gave the book 5 stars. Loved it. Highly recommend for anyone who is a fan of alternate worlds hidden under our worlds, fantasy lovers, and fans of Neil's. If you aren't a fan of his, you're wrong.

This Week's Challenge
I've had The Golden Compass on my TBR list since April 2008. I have the three-book set, because I got it for my future children. I do that often. CJ has probably over 100 books that he won't be able to read for 10 years. But anywho, I want to read this and see if it is as good as some people think it is or if it is an evil Satan-worshipping book like some other people think it is. I saw the movie and I liked it, but it was obvious they were trying to be the next Harry Potter. Not going to happen people, can't be done. 

PS. In other news, I only have 1 more book to read to finish up my goodreads' challenge of 52 books this year. I'm super-proud of myself. It is hard to find time to read with a 1 year old. Really. Really. Hard. 


Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Hope you enjoy this books. I didn't know about them!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! 5 stars. I'm so so glad that you enjoyed and loved it! Your TBRIC pick was a success =) I'm so proud of you! I hope that my TBRIC pick for this coming week would be different from my past two books. I hope that this time I'd be able to enjoy it.

    Good luck on your next book! I saw the movie and liked it. =)

    Have a great week ahead!

    xoxo, april!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been able to get into Neil's writing. I tried Neverwhere and The Graveyard Book and just couldn't finish them. I finished American Gods but only because a friend forced me to, but I didn't really enjoy it. I also have been unable to finish The Golden Compass. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gwenny, have you tried them as audiobooks? I read a couple of his read by him and that makes it much better. He's a great storyteller, so it helps to be able to hear his voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're reading Philip Pullman - that's a great series. And it was actually published before Harry Potter (I know what you mean about the movie, though). There's no satan-worship at all, but it does present an argument for being an atheist, which some people don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not too worried about it, even if there was stuff about satan. I just remember it being on the banned books list because of atheism and satan worship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed Neverwhere. I haven't read The Golden Compass either. I hope you like it! Good luck!

    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo...I'm going to have to pick up Neverwhere :) And I also picked up The Golden Compass Omnibus right after I saw the movie, but didn't get very far in it, not because I didn't like, but we were moving to a different state at the time and it just kinda got forgotten about in all the packing, etc. Hope you enjoy it! :)

    And congrats on almost finishing your reading challenge! How exciting! And I know what you mean about it being hard to find time with little ones...I've got two very noisy munchkins, so my reading time happens during naptime and into the wee hours of the morning.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I will try my darnedest to reply to any and all comments. Please make sure they are family friendly. I welcome discussion, but please no rudeness.