Sunday, November 13, 2011

Review: The Inconvenient Marriage of Charlotte Beck


Goodreads' Description
Unlikely romance is sometimes just an inconvenient marriage away
 
Charlotte Beck may be entering adulthood, but she can’t seem to keep to her stubborn, independent spirit from bucking social protocol. Fed up with her behavior, Charlotte’s father Daniel pressures her to settle into a nice marriage despite knowing she is set on going to college. Then Daniel sees Charlotte with the handsome but annoying English astronomer Alex Hambly, and everything changes. 

Though Alex and Charlotte can barely stand one another, Daniel offers them a deal they can’t refuse: if they agree to marry, he will save Alex’s family from financial ruin and grant Charlotte the freedom to go to college. Reluctantly the couple agrees, but in private they plot to annul the marriage as soon as possible. 

But when Alex’s feelings change and he refuses to dissolve their contract, will Charlotte find a way out of her vows? Or will she discover that maybe this marriage isn’t so inconvenient after all?

My Review
When I got this book to review from Blogging for Books, I was a bit nervous. The description said that it was Christian Fiction and Women's Fiction. These aren't the types of books I read the most. Yes, I'm a Christian and yes I'm a woman, but they generally don't appeal to me. I find the Christian books to be over the top and I find the women's fiction to just be fluff. Not that there's anything wrong with either of those things, they just aren't my bag baby. 

I needn't have worried about this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Christian themes in it weren't over the top at all. The main theme of the book seemed to be that one's Christianity is one's own. That's something I definitely agreed with. The two main characters Charlotte and Alex are sweet and funny and obviously perfect for each other. Unfortunately, they can't seem to get it through their thick heads. Alex thinks that Charlotte is immature and Charlotte finds Alex to be boring and stuffy. 

Charlotte's father makes a deal with her that if she marries Alex in 4 years, he will allow her to attend college. The book then skips ahead 4 years to her wedding and then her attempts to get out of it. 

The book goes from the ballrooms of London to the Old West, with all casts of characters throughout. One of the supporting characters is even Buffalo Bill. 

When I finished the book, I found out that this was the third book in a series, but I couldn't tell. It could definitely still be a stand-alone book. I've added the other two to my to-read list. 

I gave this book 4 happy mamas. 


Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Hey, new goodreads friend. I came over to check out your blog! Great review--it sounds like a premise with a lot of potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great review. I like a good christian novel as long as it isn't as my grandma would say "over salted" after all too much salt spoils the meat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one definitely isn't "oversalted" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good review. I liked the story its so good, i must say the author has written a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Inconvenient Marriage of Charlotte Beck is a sweet, funny, fast-paced romance that carries you from the ballrooms in London to the hills of the Rockies. You are first introduced to Charlotte Beck; headstrong, independent, feisty.those words would be mild descriptors of the young heroine of the story. While her father and stepmother long for her to be married, she longs to attend a university and one day, take her place by her father in his company.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I will try my darnedest to reply to any and all comments. Please make sure they are family friendly. I welcome discussion, but please no rudeness.